Long and Winding Road

A very ordinary middle-class life of a very ordinary middle-aged Japanese woman living in a very ordinary middle-sized city.

Sep 17, 2011

The Earthquake #1 -- On That Day

On March 11th, 2011, the unprecedented earthquake hit the north-east region of Japan.
I have wanted to write about it for this blog, but I couldn’t do it.
Eventually, it took me more than half a year to organize my thoughts in a stable mind, and to write about the earthquake followed by the nuclear accidents. I’m still not sure what to write. Anyway, I decided to start writing.

On that moment, I was working on the 3rd floor in an office building in Nagoya city which is located in the central part of Japan. I felt quake. The building seemed to sway. It continued for several minutes. Earthquake itself is not rare as we often have small ones. But at that time, I thought it was unusual. So, I checked it up on the Internet to find that unprecedentedly huge earthquake hit the northern part of Japan.

Communications to our Tokyo branch office were almost down. A coworker looked pale and said “My boyfriend is in that area. Emails and phone calls to him cannot be connected.”

After leaving the office, I found that all my family members and close friends were fine. But the heartbreaking scenes of the earthquake and tsunami, and images of the suffering areas were repeatedly shown on TV, which made me cry.

I was also looking at the Internet. I gathered information even though I could do nothing about it. Especially, my “time line” of the Twitter was like a stream of screaming voices.

“Please spread this tweet! We are isolated on the roof of a building! Water is about to wash us away!” “Help me! We are waiting for rescues!” “I’m searching for my husband. If somebody knows where he is, please tweet!”

I still feel acute pain and depression by remembering that even after 6 month has passed.
And I think something in my world has changed.
No, my world hasn’t changed.

My perception toward the relationship between me and the world has changed.

How was it changed…?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home